No matter if you relocate your home or your business, moving can be a really challenging experience. And there are so many factors that can complicate things even more, from weather conditions to forgetting to notify some companies about the address change. Furthermore, the packing part of the process must be treated with utmost care. Find out the most common packing mistakes you can do during a move.
1. Packing everything in old, used boxes. The success probability of your move depends directly on the quality of your moving supplies. You might be tempted to re-use some boxes. In many cases this is a big mistake, since the structure of the box might be compromised. Do not pack heavy or fragile items in used boxes. Buy new, sturdy ones.
2. Forgetting to create an “open first” box. For residential moves, this is also known as an “essential box”. It contains everything needed in the first 1 or 2 days upon reaching the destination. You will need to add personal hygiene items, bedding, cutlery and some clothes. Pack this “open first” box and set it aside. It should be the last box loaded in the transport vehicle, so that it can be the first box unloaded.
3. Forgetting to label boxes. This is another big mistake, which will cost you a lot of time and nerves. When packing for a move, it's very important to be organized by taking inventory of your items as you pack. By labeling the contents on the box, it will be easier for you to find the items you need when unpacking.
4. Overburdening your boxes. We all think that the more items will pack in a box, the easier and faster we will get things running. But in many cases, the things are quite opposite. Overburdening a box increases the odds of causing an accident when transporting it. Know the maximum weight a box can handle and do not fill it with more than that.
5. Leaving empty spaces in boxes. Is the opposite of what we've just talked about. Having a box too empty is also undesirable. Why? Because the empty space will give room to the items inside to move during transit. And if you are transporting valuable and fragile items, they can easily break. This is why it is recommended to buy boxes of all sizes and use cushioning materials to keep items in place inside the box.